Saturday, August 23, 2014

Steady Progress...

 I am now 2 weeks into PT and almost 8 weeks post surgery. PT is hard, but going well. I have made significant progress so far, but my therapist warned me that I will hit a wall at some point that I will have to work through. He also told me I am in "the gray area" where my shoulder is moving and feeling better, and I my try and do and lift more, of course that would be a bad idea. I see what he means, and it is tough to hold back after so many weeks of doing nothing. I have also felt the bite of over doing it. I went into Friday's session feeling tired and in a bit more pain than I had been. Surprisingly, I still showed positive progress. He told me to take it easy the rest of the day, which I did, and I feel a lot better today.

 I am still a few weeks from being able to ride. I was told 10-12 weeks after surgery. I have spent some limited time on the trainer, but mostly have been sticking to hiking and walking. But, that has hit a snag as well. I was doing a nice hike with Lauri, when I tweaked my knee, yes that knee. I still went out the next couple of days and hiked, and it was after that that it started to bother me. I took a day off, then did an easy walk and still had pain. Later that day I tried to loosen it up by spinning on the trainer, and that didn't help either. I think my main problem is that I hadn't been able to stretch since I broke my collar bone, something I had been doing since my knee rehab started. So, I stretched as best I could, iced, and took it easy. Knee felt better, then I went for a nice hike with Lauri yesterday, and shortly into the hike the pain came pack. So I stretched, iced and will take a few days off hoping to get back to normal. I know it is just a mild strain,  not part of my ACL surgery. I just don't want to get cleared ride, and not be able to. So now my activity level is shoulder rehab and stretching, hopefully not for too long.

Cheers,
Buddy

No comments: